The Adventist Home -- Study Guide
Section XIV — Guarding the avenues of the soul
Date _________ AH-SG 43.1
A. Read pages 401-418. AH-SG 43.2
B. Check your knowledge: AH-SG 43.3
1. What does Sister White call the senses? (401:2.)
2. What is Satan’s endeavor with regard to our senses? (401:4.)
3. What assurance do we have when we are exposed to the assaults of unseen and invisible foes? (402:2.)
4. What does the sight of deeds of crime do to the mind? (406:1.)
5. Complete: “In Christian homes a bulwark should be built against __________________________.” (406:2.) AH-SG 43.8
7. Complete: “Music, when not abused, is a great blessing; but when put to a wrong use, it is a ________________ ____________.” (408:0.) AH-SG 43.10
8. Complete: “The heart is corrupted through the ______________.” (408:1.) AH-SG 43.11
9. Choose from this list of words the right ones to insert in the following quotations: demoralize, exciting, knowledge, brain, tables.
a. “The susceptible, expanding mind of the child longs for __________________________.” (410:1.)
b. “Children need proper reading which will afford amusement and recreation and not ______________________________ the mind or wear the body.” (411:2.)
c. “Intemperate habits of reading have an effect upon the _____________ similar to that which intemperate habits of eating and drinking have upon the body.” (414:3.)
d. “Let publications upon moral and religious subjects be found on your _____________________ and in your libraries.” (416:0.)
e. “Children should be taught to reject trashy, _______________ tales and to turn to sensible reading, which will lead the mind to take an interest in Bible story, history, and argument.” (417:1.) AH-SG 43.12
10. How can parents prevent the enemy from sowing tares in their children’s hearts? (410:2.)
12. What is a result of hasty, superficial reading? (415:1.)
13. What are compared to the frogs of Egypt? (415: 1.)
14. If we are truly consecrated, will we take secular papers in preference to denominational literature in our homes? (415:2.)
C. Rate the quality of your reading: Excellent. ______ Good ______ Poor _____Soul-destroying___ AH-SG 44.4
1. What kind of reading helps you the most? _____________ __________________________________________________ AH-SG 44.5
2. What kind of reading hinders you the most? __________ __________________________________________________ AH-SG 44.6
D. Discuss with others: AH-SG 44.7
1. For what did God give us—
d. A heart? (401:1.)
3. What means is Satan using to popularize crime and vice? (406:2.)
4. To what dangers are young men and women especially exposed? (407:1.)
5. How can we keep the resolution suggested in the last paragraph on page 409?
6. What effect do love stories, fiction, books on sensational topics, exciting tales, works of infidel authors, myths, and fairy tales have on children and young people?
7. Make suggested lists of the types of literature that can profitably and safely be introduced into our homes.
8. Do the principles laid down to govern the choice of reading apply as well to programs presented on the radio and television?
E. Think on these things: AH-SG 44.16
1. “In no case can Satan obtain dominion over the thoughts, words. and actions, unless we voluntarily open the door and invite him to enter.” (402:2.) AH-SG 44.17
2. “So far as in us lies, we should close every avenue by which the tempter may find access to us.” (403:0.) AH-SG 44.18
3. “Those who would not fall a prey to Satan’s devices must guard well the avenues of the soul; they must avoid reading, seeing, or hearing that which will suggest impure thoughts.” (403:3.) AH-SG 45.1
4. “The mind must not be left to dwell at random upon every subject that the enemy of souls may suggest.” (403:3.) AH-SG 45.2
F. Name the book you will read next. AH-SG 45.3