The Adventist Home -- Study Guide
Section XIII — The use of money
Date ________ AH-SG 40.1
A. Read pages 367-398. AH-SG 40.2
B. Check your knowledge: AH-SG 40.3
1. What lies at the foundation of business integrity and true success? (367:1.)
2. Of what does the recording angel take a record in connection with our offerings? (368:3.)
4. What will the habit of giving counteract? (370:4.)
5. Underline the word or words in brackets that give the correct sense in this quotation: “[Fathers, mothers, children, all] should learn how to keep accounts.” (374:4.) AH-SG 40.8
6. Underline the correct word or words: “Habits of [economy, industry, sobriety] are a better portion for your children than a rich dowry.” (375:1.) AH-SG 40.9
7. Underline the correct word or words: “Do not educate your children to think that your love for them must be expressed by indulgence of their [pride, extravagance, love of display].” (376, 377.) AH-SG 40.10
8. Underline the correct word or words: “God does not require that His people should deprive themselves of that which is really necessary for their health and comfort, but He does not approve of [wantonness, extravagance, display].” (379:3.) AH-SG 40.11
9. To what should our people be educated? (373:2.)
10. How did Christ teach a lesson in economy? (381:1.)
11. Complete: “They are always careful to keep their ________________ within their _______________.” (385:1.) AH-SG 40.14
12. Who is more likely to appreciate his advantages most, the child who works his way through college or the one who goes at another’s expense? (387:3.)
13. In what way can a child who lives out of the city learn valuable lessons in finance and giving to God’s cause? (388:1.)
14. When should the habit of paying tithe and giving offerings begin? (389:1.)
15. Which book of the Bible has an abundance of counsel for businessmen? (391:1.)
16. Which commandment in particular applies to business dealings? (392:1.)
17. Complete: “Abstracting and using money for any purpose, before it is earned, is a ___________” (392:6.) AH-SG 40.20
18. Complete: “Take care of the ____________, and the ___________________ will take care of themselves.” (393:5.) AH-SG 41.1
19. Complete: “Had Brother and Sister B been ___________ ____________________, denying themselves, they could ere this have had a home of their own.” (395:1.) AH-SG 41.2
20. Complete: “Every week a portion of your wages should be ___________________ and in no case touched unless suffering actual want, or to render back to the Giver in offerings to God.” (396:0.) AH-SG 41.3
C. Rate your business ability: AH-SG 41.4
Excellent ____ Good _____Fair _____Poor________ AH-SG 41.5
1. What business qualifications have you mastered? __________ ___________________________________________________ AH-SG 41.6
2. Where do you need to improve? ___________________________________________________________________________ AH-SG 41.7
D. Discuss with others: AH-SG 41.8
1. True or false:
a. Our temporal blessings are given us in trust, to prove whether we can be entrusted with eternal riches. (367:3.)
b. In the judgment we shall have to meet the record of the way we use God’s money. (368:1.)
c. Before the earnings are consumed, God’s portion should be taken out and presented to Him. (369:2.)
d. We should be ready to render immediate assistance to those who are under a severe pressure. (370:1.) AH-SG 41.9
2. Which is better, to own one’s home or to rent?
3. What are justifiable and unjustifiable ways of spending the family income?
4. How does the story of the gathering of the fragments illustrate the motives and methods of economy for Christian families?
5. In the training of children in financial matters, check which of these should be taught:
a. Habits of self-control and self-denial. (386:1.)
b. To live for the purpose of serving Jesus. (386:1.)
c. To avoid expensive dress, diet, houses, and furniture, and needless trifles. (386:1; 388:3.)
d. To keep accounts. (386:2.)
e. That father has an inexhaustible supply from which they can draw. (386:3.)
f. Money is a gift entrusted to us to do God’s work. (386:3.)
g. Money that they earn is theirs to do with as they wish. (387:2.) AH-SG 42.1
6. Do we help our children by keeping them in ignorance of our financial problems?
7. “Be determined never to incur another debt.” (393:4.)
8. List the evils resulting from being in debt, and discuss ways of avoiding this situation.
E. Think on these things: AH-SG 42.5
1. If I continually kept before me the fact that God is the Proprietor and I am His steward, would my spending habits be different from what they now are?
2. In my endeavor to be economical should the family table be stinted? (377:2.)
3. Should the wife be compelled to give an account of the way she spends the weekly allowance given her? (378:5.)
4. What is one cause of many men becoming bankrupt and dishonestly appropriating means? (383:0.)
5. What is the best legacy a parent can leave his child? (390:1.)
6. What is a frequent cause of poverty in families? (392:4.)
7. “Avoid it [debt] as you would the smallpox.” (393:4.)
F. Name one way you (as the husband, wife, son, daughter) can improve in your use of money.