Loma Linda Messages

14/143

Endorsed by the Pacific Union Conference

The next great question for consideration was, Who shall bear the burden of providing funds and directing the management of the college? Thus far the members of the General Conference Committee had looked upon it as very largely a Pacific Coast enterprise. The Pacific Union Conference had treated it as a Southern California affair. The Southern California Conference knew that it was a work too large for them alone, and believed that it should be supported by our people throughout the world. LLM 17.5

This led to a review of the whole question at the session of the Pacific Union Conference held at Mountain View, January 25-30, 1910. Especially thorough was the questioning as to the character of the work to be done by the College of Medical Evangelists. A committee consisting of I. H. Evans, E. E. Andross, and H. W. Cottrell, was appointed to interview Sister White. This committee submitted to her in writing the following questions: LLM 18.1

“Are we to understand, from what you have written concerning the establishment of a medical school at Loma Linda, that according to the light you have received from the Lord, we are to establish a thoroughly equipped medical school, the graduates from which shall be able to take State Board examinations, and become registered, qualified physicians?” LLM 18.2

In response to this question, Sister White wrote: LLM 18.3

“The light given me is, We must provide that which is essential to qualify our youth who desire to be physicians, so that they may intelligently fit themselves to be able to stand the examinations essential to prove their efficiency as physicians. They are to be prepared to stand the essential tests required by law, and to treat understandingly the cases of those who are diseased, so that the door will be closed for any sensible physician to fear that we are not giving in our school the instruction essential for the proper qualification of a physician. Continually, the students who are graduated are to advance in knowledge; for practice makes perfect. LLM 18.4

“The medical school at Loma Linda is to be of the highest order, because we have a living connection with the wisest of all physicians, from whom there is communicated knowledge of a superior order. And whatever subjects are required as essential in the schools conducted by those not of our faith, we are to supply, so that our youth need not go to these worldly schools. Thus we shall close the door that the enemy would be pleased to have left open; and our young men and young women, whom the Lord would have us guard religiously, will not need to connect with worldly medical schools conducted by unbelievers.” LLM 18.5

The foregoing statement was so definite and emphatic that the Committee on Plans and Recommendations reported, and the Conference passed, the following recommendations, outlining a plan for the establishment of a medical school on a broader and firmer basis: LLM 18.6

“We Recommend (1) That, in harmony with the above instruction, we favor the establishment and maintenance of a medical school at Loma Linda, California. LLM 18.7

“(2) In order that this medical school may meet the mind of the Lord in doing the work appointed for it by the Spirit of Prophecy, we invite the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists, the Lake, Northern, Central, Southwestern, and North Pacific Union Conferences, and the Southern California Conference, to unite with the Pacific Union Conference in establishing and suitably equipping and maintaining this school. LLM 19.1

“(3) That a board of control, for directing the management of the school, be appointed as follows: (a) Two members to be appointed by the General Conference; (b) One member by the Lake Union Conference, one by the Northern Union Conference, one by the Central Union Conference, one by the Southwestern Union Conference, one by the North Pacific Union Conference, and one by the Pacific Union Conference; (c) two members to be appointed by the Southern California Conference. LLM 19.2

“(4) That the school be maintained by Funds obtained as follows: (a) Tuition; (b) Donations; (c) Deficit, if any, to be met annually by the General Conference, the Lake, Northern, Central, Southwestern, North Pacific, and Pacific Union Conferences, and the Southern California Conference, all sharing equally. LLM 19.3

“(5) That each of the above mentioned organizations be requested to raise one thousand dollars, in behalf of the equipment and maintenance of the school for the calendar year 1910. LLM 19.4

“(6) That a separate set of books be kept, carrying all accounts of the school, so that the same can be audited, and full knowledge of the cost of operating the school can be submitted to the constituency annually. LLM 19.5

“(7) That a committee, consisting of the incoming president of the Pacific Union Conference, the president of the Southern California Conference, W. C. White, and J. A. Burden, be asked to present this entire question to the General Conference and the Union Conferences referred to, and to lead out in the establishment of this medical school.” LLM 19.6

The action of the Pacific Union Conference was communicated by the committee appointed for that purpose to the conferences mentioned in the recommendation. Each of these Union Conferences took the matter up and gave it favorable consideration and appointed a person to represent them on the board. The General Conference at their spring council in Washington, in April, 1910, took the following action on the invitation of the Pacific Union Conference: LLM 19.7

“Whereas, It is advised that a medical school be equipped and conducted at Loma Linda, Calif.; and, LLM 20.1

“Whereas, The Pacific Union Conference of Seventh-day Adventists had petitioned that the General Conference join it in this undertaking; therefore; LLM 20.2

“Resolved, (1) That the General Conference unite with the Pacific Union Conference (and other union conferences) in establishing a medical school at Loma Linda, California. LLM 20.3

“(2) That we authorize the officers of the General Conference to appropriate one thousand dollars, or any fraction thereof, for the above purpose, during the year 1910. LLM 20.4

“(3) That A. G. Daniells, W. A. Ruble, and H. R. Salisbury be the General Conference members of the board of control of the said school.” LLM 20.5

May 6 to 12, 1910, there was held at Loma Linda, Cal., a council composed of the following: Three representatives from the General Conference, one each from the Central, Lake, Northern, North Pacific, Southwestern, and Pacific Union Conferences, and two from the Southern California Conference, besides the Executive Committees of the Southern California Conference and the Pacific Union Conference and the incorporators of the Loma Linda Sanitarium and of the College of Medical Evangelists. The council was the outgrowth of an invitation extended by the Pacific Union Conference at its session in January to these conferences to join with it in establishing and suitably equipping and making provision for maintaining a denominational medical school at Loma Linda, Cal. LLM 20.6

Early in the progress of the council it was made very clear to all that it would be unwise to have two corporations operating upon the same ground and doing a work that the testimonies clearly implied should be one. For this reason, one of the first definite actions was the passage of a resolution to consolidate the sanitarium corporation and the college corporation into one, to be known as the College of Medical Evangelists, thus making the medical school the main feature, and the sanitarium work a branch, or auxiliary of the same. By this action, the whole of the sanitarium plant, with its facilities and equipment, would become of great service to the medical college, thus making it possible to begin at once to operate a medical school, allowing the work of providing other necessary appliances to follow later, as the wants of the school should demand. LLM 20.7

By resolution of the council, the constituency of the new corporation is composed of the following: LLM 20.8

(1) “The members of the executive committee of the Southern Calif. Conference of Seventh-day Adventists. LLM 20.9

(2) “The members of the executive committee of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists resident in the United States. LLM 21.1

(3) “The members of the executive committee of the Pacific Union Conference of Seventh-day Adventists. LLM 21.2

(4) “The original incorporators.” LLM 21.3

The consolidation of these two corporations entailed some minor changes in the articles of incorporation, and made it necessary to elect a board of twenty-one members. The following persons were elected to this board: LLM 21.4

A. G. Daniells, G. W. Watson, J. R. Leadsworth,
Allen Moon, G. A. Irwin, J. J. Wessels,
R. A. Underwood, E. E. Andross, J. W. Lindsay,
E. T. Russell, W. C. White, W. A. Ruble,
C. W. Flaiz, Luther Warren, J. A. Burden,
Q. K. Abbott, T. J. Evans, R. S. Owen,
Julia A. White, H. F. Rand, and F. G. Lucas.

One third of this number serve for one year, one third for two years, and one third for three years; so that at each annual election, the members elected will serve for a term of three years. This board was organized by the election of the following persons as officers: LLM 21.5

G. A. Irwin, President: John A. Burden, Vice-President; Dr. W. A Ruble, Secretary; S. S. Merrill, Treasurer; John J. Ireland, Auditor. LLM 21.6

A curriculum, outlining the entrance requirements and fees and courses of study, was, after very careful consideration, adopted, and a faculty of teachers selected. LLM 21.7

Looking forward to the needs of the college, it was voted to authorize the expenditure of $25,000 in buildings and appliances for the ensuing year, and to receive such students as could furnish evidence of sufficient preliminary education to enter the course. LLM 21.8

The most pressing needs were found to be laboratory, and dormitories for the young men and young women. Soon after this meeting, work was begun on a dormitory for the ladies. This is a four-story cement building, one hundred eight feet long and thirty-six feet wide. It contains sixty rooms, and will accommodate more than a hundred. LLM 21.9

With the opening of the College in the fall of 1910, the most advanced class of medical students were to enter upon their third year; and in order to conform to the requirements of the State, it was necessary to provide them facilities for thorough laboratory work. A laboratory building was therefore erected and is well equipped with the essential appliances. LLM 21.10

During the year 1911 steady progress was made in the work at Loma Linda. The various departments were strengthened. Twenty-four students entered the medical course, and twenty the nurses’ course. The patronage of the sanitarium increased, and notwithstanding the expense of maintaining the educational departments, there was a profit in the operating expenses for the year, of $5,795.41. The expenses of erecting the girls’ dormitory and laboratory building, and providing the facilities that were necessary, were heavy; yet the present worth of the corporation increased from $27,650.00 in 1910 to $61,892.34 in 1912. LLM 22.1

*****