The Adventist Home -- Study Guide
Section IX — Father, the house-band
Date __________ AH-SG 27.1
A. Read pages 211-228. AH-SG 27.2
B. Check your knowledge: AH-SG 27.3
1. Who only compose the family circle? (211:1.)
2. Who is head of the household? (211:4.)
3. Give a definition of the word “husband.” (211:2,3.)
4. For what does the wife look to the husband? (211:4.)
5. For what do the children look to the father? (211:4.)
6. True or false:
a. When the father’s business cares are very heavy, he should not be expected to enter his home with smiles and pleasant words. (211, 212.) __________
b. The father should walk with God as Enoch, praying at all times. (213:0.) __________
c. It is an evidence of manliness for the husband to dwell constantly upon his position as head of the family. __________ (215:1.) AH-SG 27.9
7. Which of these is the father and husband expected to be in his home?
a. Lawmaker. (212:1.)
b. Priest. (212:1.)
c. Overgrown, undisciplined boy. (213:2.)
d. One whose right it is to exercise a tyrannical spirit. (213:3.)
e. One who makes the life of his wife pleasant and happy. (213, 214.)
f. Protector of the wife. (215:1.)
g. One who binds the family together. (215:1.) AH-SG 27.10
8. Complete the sentences in the first column by matching them with the correct endings in the second column:
a. “The father should encourage and sustain the mother in her work of care __________(1) lean upon the large affections of her husband.” (216:5.)
b. “He [the husband] should not come to his home with a clouded brow, __________(2) by his cheerful looks and kind words.” (216:3.)
c. “Let the wife feel that she can__________(3) but should with his presence bring sunlight into the family.” (218:0.) AH-SG 28.1
9. How can a husband “shut the door against much disease”? (217:3.)
10. How are children affected when the mother is exhausted through overwork and anxiety? (218:5.)
11. Complete: “The father, as the head of his own household, should understand how to train his children for usefulness and duty. This is his ________________ work, _________________ every other.” (221:1.) AH-SG 28.4
12. Complete: “Be pleasant, kind, and affectionate toward your children, but not foolishly _______________________.” (222:1.) AH-SG 28.5
13. True or false:
a. Boys can be left entirely to the care of the mother. (220:4.)
b. Whatever the father’s business or study demands, he should take time to study the natures and necessities of his children. (221:4.)
c. The father should take the children outdoors and help them to learn of God through nature. (222, 223.) AH-SG 28.6
C. Rate the father: Wise and kind_______ Indifferent and indul-gent______ Pleasant and affectionate______ Harsh and cruel_______ AH-SG 28.9
1. What are his strongest points? _____________________________________________________________________________ AH-SG 28.10
2. Where can he improve the most?___________________________________________________________________________ AH-SG 29.1
D. Discuss with others: AH-SG 29.2
1. What are the major responsibilities of the husband?
2. What are the major responsibilities of the father?
3. What should a wife do when the husband is only a “figure-head” and does not take responsibility?
4. What should a wife do when the husband is a tyrant?
5. Should the husband wash the dishes?
6. Why have we as a church lost many of our boys?
7. Should we have more men teachers in our church schools and our Sabbath Schools?
8. Discuss specific ways in which the father can be a companion to his children. AH-SG 29.10
E. Think on these things: AH-SG 29.11
1. How can the mother train her son to be a good husband?
2. How can the father train his son to be a good husband?
3. Can a busy father transfer his duties to someone else? (216:1.)
4. Why are the words “refinement,” “courtesy,” and “gentleness” used frequently in speaking of the Christian home? (216:4.)
5. Does the father in my home spend enough time with his sons?
6. Should I as the father seek other employment in order to have more time for my children? (221:1.)
F. How can I (as the wife, son, daughter) help the head of this home to be a better husband and father?